When you enroll in St Louis you will be trained as a physiotherapist over a period of 4years, at the end of your training you would be able to evaluate and treat people with various medical conditions, you’ll help people improve their mobility and regain their functional independence after an injury or operation, or as a result of ageing or a disability. As a physiotherapist, you’ll be able to identify functional problems through thorough evaluation and using critical thinking, make evidence based clinical decisions with the aim of maximizing movement to improve the health and wellbeing of your patients. After the completion of this course you will be equipped with the clinical skills to intervene in conditions across domains such as;
- Neurological rehabilitation (stroke, multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s).
- Neuro-musculoskeletal physiotherapy (back pain, neck pain,
- Musculoskeletal and sports physiotherapy (injuries, arthritis).
- Cardiorespiratory physiotherapy (cardiac rehabilitation, asthma, chronic heart disease, following a heart attack, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, cystic fibrosis).
- Pediatric physiotherapy (children with varicose developmental and neurological conditions)
You’ll work with people of all ages on a daily basis, using various exercises and manipulative techniques and modalities to improve on their strength and function. You would be part of a medical team and you’ll work with other team members to determine a treatment plan for each patient. You’ll also promote good health through education and advice on self care for persons suffering from various conditions.
- This program will provide students with indebt knowledge and understanding in health science at the base, in areas such as human anatomy and physiology, basic laboratory techniques, hospital hygiene practice, health information systems and communication science, chemistry and biochemistry.
- Further down in your training, you would be thought biomechanics and kinesiology, pathologies in orthopedics, neurology, cardiovascular and respiratory, sports related pathologies and their managements, diagnostics imaging techniques in physiotherapy, physiotherapy modalities and manual techniques, community Medicine and Community based rehabilitation
- The course will also entail several clinical community internships with partner hospitals and rehabilitation centers.
- At the end of the first three years for HND and the end of the fourth year for bachelors you would be expected to identify a problem carryout research, present and defend your findings before a jury using standard methodology in research
- Through your training you would be exposed to Lab sessions where you shall be thought the different techniques, modalities, and exercise using state of the art equipment.
- Upon completion of the program the graduate will be expected to enter the profession at a level consistent with initial practice of the profession of Physical therapy and be able to accommodate to the ever changing health –care needs of the consumers.
- Expressively and receptively communicated with the patients /clients, families, care, givers, practitioners, consumers, and policy makers while engaged in physical therapy practice research or education.
- Incorporate an understanding of the implication of individuals and cultural differences when engage in physical therapy practices research and education.
- Demonstrate clinical decision making skills including clinical reasoning clinical judgment, reflective practice.
- Educate others using a variety of teachings methods that are commensurate with the needs and unique characteristics of the learner
- Perform screening to determine the need for further examination by, consultation with, or referrals to the appropriate health care professionals.
- Determine patient or client prognoses based on evaluation of results of examinations and medical psychosocial information.
- Practice critical enquiry including evaluation of published studies and information related to new established techniques and technology and participate in the scholarly activity.
- Student with pass in their ADVANCE LEVEL EXAMINATION issued by the GCE board
- For the degree the candidate should have pass the HPD/HND, in physiotherapy
- Selection of student shall be base on merit provided that the candidate must have obtained above 50% marks in the HDP/HND/DSEP or other equivalent examinations.
- English shall be the medium of instruction and examinations for all courses in the programme. All students shall be tested for language proficiency by the Bamenda linguistic center.
- For the degree the candidate should have pass the HPD/HND, in Physiotherapy or should have pass the other exams conducted by the boards/ councils/intermediate examinations established by state governments /central governments and recognized as equivalence to a 3 year pre – university examination by the university of Buea and St Louis Higher
- Be of age 17 and above of the year of academic admission
- A minimum grade point average o 2.00 on scale of 4.00.
- Earn credit value of 60.
- Consultant Physiotherapist in Multi-specialty Hospitals, Health Care Centers, NGOs.
- Corporate Physiotherapist in MNCs.
- Physiotherapy Instructor in modern Gymnasiums.
- Ergonomic Care Advisor.
- Physiotherapist in Special Schools for Physically Challenged Children.
- Private practice physiotherapist.